[wildfly-dev] Wildfly provisioning tools and packaging format

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 18:18:13 EDT 2014

On 7/4/14, 5:51 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
> On 03/07/14 17:24, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>> - The ability to customise the default config (not sure how this will
>> work yet. A yuck solution would be xslt, but no one likes that. A nicer
>> solution could be some kind of CLI script that is run on first boot).
>
> I think we should avoid XML manipulation as much as we can, really it is
> just our chosen approach to persist the servers config - there is
> nothing to stop us from changing to something different so persistence
> format could even become something selected when creating a distribution.
>
> CLI commands could be very nice, the tool could even run the server in
> admin mode to execute them and there have been various discussions on
> running the server in the CLI or the CLI in the server.
>
> Could this also be a time to consider all configuration for the server
> starting from CLI commands?  I believe our current approach is an
> evolution from where we used to just have fully defined configurations
> in the codebase, assembling XML fragments enabled re-use.  But now that
> tooling to create a distribution is being considered again maybe 100% if
> the configuration could come from defined management ops.

I like the idea of that a lot, but I'm concerned about it becoming a
blocking priority. How adaptable is the stuff we already have for
building configs for this usage, at least as a temporary solution? It
has some of the basic elements, i.e. chunks of config associated with a
name (one that often smells like a capability name) that get included if
relevant.

Senior Principal Software Engineer