[wildfly-dev] Is JMX Needed in Core?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 14:27:47 EDT 2014

My earlier reply on this thread was in the branch focused on the
technical detail of how the dependency arises. Which should be fixed;
sounds like that's happening.

On the broader question of where stuff belongs, JMX is an interesting
case. Lots of users will want JMX. A number of subsystems have optional
dependencies on it, including some like jgroups and infinispan that may
end up being part of their own dist, separate from the full dist.

So what's the plan for catering to these needs? Ship it in the full dist
and those who want it depend on the full dist but configure the
provisioning tool to only grab the JMX modules? Make it a micro-dist?
Maybe a mini-dist packaged with some others? JMX, system-jmx, pojo as
the "deploy your own services" dist? (I don't like that last one, just
brainstorming...)

On 7/9/14, 5:47 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:
> Working with the split repo just questioning if JMX is really needed in
> core?
>
> Whilst most distributions would include it I am not convinced it is a
> subsystem all must have.

Manageable logging isn't either. Lots of people used logging.properties
for a long time.

Note I'm not advocating removing logging from core; I'm just saying that
no subsystem has to be in core if that's the criteria.

> Regards,
> Darran Lofthouse.

Senior Principal Software Engineer