[wildfly-dev] Is JMX Needed in Core?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 18:18:47 EDT 2014

On 7/9/14, 3:26 PM, Jason Greene wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 3:09 PM, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Brian Stansberry wrote:

>>> So the web build is becoming the spot where foundational stuff like this
>>> and Elytron come in? The core is uber-minimal for the folks who really
>>> want that, and then web has these things that lots and lots of folks
>>> will want.
>>>
>>> In the odd case where folks want this foundational stuff but not
>>> undertow etc, they can just depend on the web build and exclude
>>> undertow. Real corner case. And folks who don't want the foundational
>>> stuff exclude it.
>>>
>>> I can see that working out pretty well.
>>>
>>> Does logging belong in web then then? Still seems like something that
>>> even the uber-minimalists would want. I ask because it bugs me that we
>>> have two meanings now for "core" -- the old "core" notion that was the
>>> true core with zero subsystems, and now this new wildfly-core dist,
>>> which has subsystems.
>>
>> I'm really not sure. TBH from a practical sense I don't think it makes
>> any real difference, its more of an idealogical thing.

I'd say it's more of a documentation thing. IOW I'm not so much
concerned about conceptual purity of the core dist as I am about having
the same word mean two different things in things like docs. The term
also appears in the management model:

/core-service=management/access=authorization/constraint=sensitivity-classification/type=core/classification=credential

vs subsystem specific stuff:

/core-service=management/access=authorization/constraint=sensitivity-classification/type=datasources/classification=data-source-security

It probably won't really matter though. People are smart and the ones
who aren't probably won't notice.

>> I guess if we look at web as being 'all the stuff that people will
>> probably need' then it makes sense that logging, jmx and
>> deployment-scanner live there instead of core.

I forgot about the scanner.

> -1 to moving deployment scanner and logging out of core.

And the gavel slams. :)

I love the sound of the gavel.

> --
> Jason T. Greene