[wildfly-dev] EAR META-INF Visibility

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:44:20 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM, James R. Perkins <jperkins at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Currently the EAR/META-INF directory is not visible to it's sub-modules.
> Should we expose the EAR/META-INF directory to the class path?
>
> I've seen questions a few times when a user wants to use their own copy
> of log4j in an EAR and they place the log4j.xxx configuration file in
> the EAR/META-INF directory. Since the log4j.jar doesn't have the
> directory on it's class path the conflagration file can not be read.
>
> Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this?

I think the EAR's root is a very logical place to put configuration files
like that. There really is no good other location. Picking a random EJB
module and putting it there is weird, and putting it in every individual
WEB module is weird too.

If anything, especially with the upcoming configuration JSR in mind, I
think the Java EE spec should just demand that EAR/META-INF is on the class
path.

So I'd love JBoss/WildFly to have this as a proprietary option, but
eventually it should be handled by the spec too.

Kind regards,
Arjan