[wildfly-dev] Design Proposal: Server suspend/resume (AKA Graceful Shutdown)

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 12:47:02 EDT 2014

The STARTING state in the existing attribute makes me think an
equivalent thing is needed for this concept.

STARTING in the existing means the runtime services are possibly out of
sync due to boot.

Doesn't a similar problem exist with RUNNING, SUSPENDING, SUSPENDED?
It's about how the server is reacting to external requests. There's some
state during boot/reload when the server is not reacting normally to
external requests.

Perhaps that's just another condition where the server is SUSPENDED.

This leads to whether this whole mechanism can be used to provide
"Graceful Startup". We have problems with this now; endpoints accepting
requests before everything is fully ready, leading to things like 404s
because a deployment is installed yet.

Senior Principal Software Engineer