[wildfly-dev] IMPORTANT: First overview of changes to jboss-ejb-client 3.0 for WildFly 10 (probably)

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 17:11:48 EST 2014

On 11/26/2014 02:51 PM, Jason Greene wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 2014, at 12:54 PM, David M. Lloyd <david.lloyd at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't want to commit this to a specific WildFly release but I guess
>> and hope it'll come in around WildFly 10 or so (definitely not 9).
>>
>> As previously discussed, the EJB client architecture is undergoing the
>> following substantial changes:
>
> Could you give an overview of how applications that are using only standard APIs would be affected?

I believe that as long as code isn't touching nested client contexts,
most client code should work unchanged; at least, that's the intent.
That's why I did the in-depth change analysis (I used
japi-compliance-checker to derive the list of changes on the original mail).

> As an example, the scope stuff was all config driven, so I imagine that for most users this will just be property changes, and there existing code will most likely work as is.

Yeah.  I haven't done *anything* with the existing property-based config
format though; I think this would have to be a compatibility module for
the shared config stuff, something that lives in ejb-client and runs if
the new client XML config isn't found, as a fallback.  I'm pretty
confident that we can do that without too much trouble though.

I'm hoping that by getting out ahead of this, we can flush out any
compatibility surprises before everything is in .final though.
--
- DML