[wildfly-dev] JBAS011592 the logging subsystem requires the log manager to be org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager

James R. Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Sun Oct 19 19:48:54 EDT 2014

As Stuart asked more details would help.

The only way this could happen is if something, an agent for example,
attempts to get a logger before JBoss Modules initializes logging. JBoss
Modules looks for a META-INF/services/ java.util.logging.LogManager
service which JBoss Log Manager has. If an agent needs to be used the
java.util.logging.manager needs to be set to
org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager before the agent initializes a logger.

On 10/19/2014 12:42 AM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> Are you using a java agent by any chance?
>
> If you are then the java agent is probably causing the issue, by
> attempting to log something before JBoss modules can set the log manager.
>
> If you are not using a java agent then I am not sure exactly what the
> cause might be. Looking at the code it looks like it is possible for a
> custom security manager to break logging as the security manager is
> initialized first, however that does not seem likely.
>
> Can you share the details on exactly what command line is being used to
> start the server?
>
> Stuart
>
> Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Heya,
>>
>> In tools and around arquillian I'm seeing more and more of $subject
>> error that I can't figure out the cause of.
>>
>> I've found https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-3152 which David
>> responds the error message is clear.
>>
>> I might be clear, but I can't figure out why starting wildfly the exact
>> same way will in one case result in this
>> error but then on second start it just works.
>>
>> I first thought that our tools might not be setting the LogManager
>> (which it does not), but when I look at standalone.sh
>> in the same server there is also no setting of this property hence
>> afaics the server is being obtuse.
>>
>> The answer in all cases seem to have been "have tried restarting it?"
>> and then things starts working, until it doesn't - and
>> then we restart again.
>>
>> Any idea on what is going on  here ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> /max