[wildfly-dev] Customizing a provisioned server

Kabir Khan kabir.khan at jboss.com
Fri Sep 5 05:22:20 EDT 2014

On 5 Sep 2014, at 09:59, Tomaž Cerar <tomaz.cerar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 11:17 PM, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with 3 is that for the most part users do not use DMR directly, they use the CLI, and all our documentation reflects this. If we use DMR directly for this it just one more thing that we require our users to learn.
>

> 90%+ of what users do in CLI is direct DMR.
> Things that CLI adds that are not part of native DMR are handlers like:
>
> - ls (instead of :read-resource),
> - reload (instead of :reload)
> - try,catch
> - batch*
> - if, else
> - clear, quit
> + some others
>
> but in general most of the commands people write are direct DMR.
> CLI only adds lots of usability features on top of them like tab completion.
>
> for example
> /subsystem=io/worker=new-worker:add()
> is 100% dmr operation.
Yes, but isn’t the issue that it is nicer for end users, who are used to the CLI to write this rather than either using the serialized forms of the  the DMR representation, e.g. either (raw DMR)
	{
	    "address" => [
	        ("subsystem" => "io"),
	        ("worker" => "new-worker")
	    ],
	    "operation" => “add”
	}
or (JSON)
	{
	    "address" : [
        	{
	            "subsystem" : "io"
        	},
	        {
        	    "worker" : "new-worker"
	        }
	    ],
	    "operation" : "add"
	}
is is a lot more usable to just be able to say