[wildfly-dev] WFCORE-665

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 12:13:26 EDT 2015

Hi Jay,

Re: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-665

I wanted to discuss this here, just because it's a potential change in
longstanding behavior, so it could use more visibility than JIRA
comments or pull requests get.

I think the simple solution is just to invert the priority between
groupVM and hostVM in the call to the JVMElement constructor at

https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/blob/master/host-controller/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/host/controller/ManagedServerBootCmdFactory.java#L132

There's one other analogous situation, with system properties, and there
the host model value takes precedence over server-group. See
ManagedServerOperationsFactory.getAllSystemProperties.

I want those two to be consistent, as I want all such precedence things
to be consistent. (The "path" and "interface" resources are the other
precedence things, but there "server-group" is not a factor.)

The argument for host overriding server-group is better to me than the
opposite, so if we're picking one to be consistent with, I pick the
former. One of the basic ideas of domain.xml versus host.xml is
domain.xml sets the base config and then specific items can be overriden
at the host level. So having server-group take precedence is unintuitive.

I don't like the approach in your patch because it makes the rules more
complex. Whether host takes precedence over server-group depends on
whether there's a jvm config at the server level with a name that
matches one of the host level configs. That's too complicated.

Cheers,

Senior Principal Software Engineer