[wildfly-dev] Shall we limit size of the deployment in WildFly?

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 08:41:36 EST 2015

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 6:48 AM, Jason T. Greene <jason.greene at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I do not think we should have a hard coded limit as a constant because that will prevent legit deployments from working, and you can still run out of disk space (e.g you have 20k left and you upload a 21k deployment, which is under 1G)
>
> We could have an extra check that verifies enough disk space in the add content management op, however Java does not give us access to quota information so the best we could do is only verify available disk space (unless we exec a command for every platform we support).

One thing I forgot to get into was domain mode. Runtime verification is straight forward on standalone, but on domain mode the deployment is pulled by arbitrary hosts, which each may have varying disk capacity.

So in the host case we can only error later on and after the fact. Hosts try to pull down content in the content repository (where deployments are stored) only when they need them, and this can happen well after a deployment is added. As an example, 3 weeks later you could add a server to a host that's in a server group that requires a download of a deployment, and at that point go over capacity.