[wildfly-dev] Supporting FIPS in domain mode

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Thu Nov 19 07:50:11 EST 2015

The problem with this issue is that it is going to be quite complex to
solve, especially once we start to expand on all the scenarios we need
to support.  Add to that it becomes even more complex once we need to
consider backwards compatibility.

Generally the scenarios we need are: -
  - Using a FIPS configured JVM
  - Using a non-FIPS configured JVM
Combined with: -
  - TLS enabled for the host controller connection.
  - TLS not enabled.

Although the issue raised only talks about an error message for one we
need to ensure we cover them all.

Firstly the connection that is being talked about here is the connection
from the individual application server process back to it's host
controller all running on the same machine.  The reason for the simple
trusting solution is because although a connection is used it is always
local - the reason we need to be able to support TLS for this connection
is because we connect to the same Remoting connector as remote clients
also used so once TLS is enabled it is enabled for all.

Firstly I think it is worth exploring if there is anything else we can
do to automatically configure the client side of this connection without
requiring any additional configuration from the administrator.

If we can identify the certificate the server will be using for the
connection there may be something we can do to send this to the
application server process so that it can instantiate a SunJSSE
compatible KeyStore and subsequently a SunJSSE TrustManager that will be
accepted into the SSLContext.

When it comes to host controller and application server initialisation
those two processes are always guaranteed to be the same version so this
gives us some leeway on how the application server process is initially
configured.

If that is not possible then an alternative is that to achieve a FIPS
mode compliant connection from the application server to the host
controller is going to require a custom configuration.  The problem is
we do not have the management model available on the application server
at this time so we would probably still need a way to define it within
the host controller and convert it to a format that can be used on the
application server.  In this case I don't think using the standard
system properties would be a good idea as existing installations could
already be relying on these elsewhere.

If we needed to go down the custom configuration route then I would
suggest lack of configuration means stick with the current behaviour so
existing installations are unaffected leaving the configuration to be
set by those that do require it.

If automatically obtaining the certificate is viable then that could be
used for all cases without breaking compatibility but additional
verification is probably needed there.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.