[wildfly-dev] is <server name=""> supposed to be the same as -Djboss.node.name?

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 17:30:19 EDT 2016

There is some confusion about setting the WildFly node name (at least in the standalone server case).

<tl;dr>
   QUESTION: How does one change the server's cluster node name (say, for the JGroups configuration). I thought both would be equivalent (either setting <server name="a"> or setting -Djboss.node.name=a) but that does not seem to be the case.
</tl;dr>

Suppose I start WildFly via standalone.sh (with its stock out of box standalone.xml) but with the command line option:

 -Djboss.node.name=wotgorilla

When I do this, I see the node-name (in the server-environment subsystem) set to "wotgorilla" but the server's name is my normal hostname (in this case "mazztower"):

/core-service=server-environment/:read-attribute(name=node-name)
{
  "outcome" => "success",
  "result" => "wotgorilla"
}

/:read-attribute(name=name)
{
   "outcome" => "success",
   "result" => "mazztower"
}

OK, but now suppose I edit standalone.xml - in the top-level root element <server> I add the name attribute:

<server name="foobar">

and I start the server WITHOUT any commmand line options (just "standalone.sh"). I see that BOTH "name" and "node-name" match my new server name:

/core-service=server-environment/:read-attribute(name=node-name)
{
  "outcome" => "success",
  "result" => "foobar"
}

/:read-attribute(name=name)
{
   "outcome" => "success",
   "result" => "foobar"
}

QUESTION: Why the discrepency? Is this a bug or expected behavior? How does one change the server's cluster node name (say, for the JGroups configuration). I thought both would be equivalent (either setting <server name="a"> or setting jboss.node.name) but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks,
John Mazz