[wildfly-dev] can we get host controllers to push out subsystem extension modules?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon May 2 14:13:58 EDT 2016

No, the only content types we propagate are deployments and rollout
plans; the stuff that goes in the content repo. Way back at the
beginning of AS 7, we decided provisioning was out of scope for the
server and was a JON function. We've considered expanding beyond that
from time to time, but have never had time. Considered it primarily
people requesting that modules get pushed around the domain,
particularly datasource drivers. This is basically a request for module
propagation.

It is a slightly easier variant of that request though. A key
requirement with a general module propagation thing is we have to track
what's available so newly joining hosts can request any necessary
missing content. That basically means referring to those modules in the
domain.xml config. With extensions though we already have that reference
in place.

On 5/2/16 12:58 PM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
> <TL;DR>
> If I define my own subsystem configuration in one of the domain controller's profiles, can the DC/HC push out my subsystem extension module to the managed standalone servers just like it pushes out deployments to them?
> </TL;DR>
>

> In WildFly's Domain Operating Mode you can define Server Groups in your Domain Controller configuration [1]. In these Server Groups you say what deployments should be deployed on which servers, like this:
>
> <server-group name="main" profile="default">
>     <deployments>
>         <deployment name="foo.war" runtime-name="foo.war" />
>     </deployments>
> </server-group>
>
> The DC and HC will do their thing to ensure those deployments are installed on the managed standalone servers. [3]
>
> Additionally in your Domain Controller configuration, you can define profiles with different subsystems [2] (so presumably some managed standalone servers can have some subsystems, where others in different profiles don't have to have them - or at least could be configured differently). For example:
>
> <profiles>
>     <profile name="default">
>         <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:web:1.0">
>             <connector name="http" scheme="http" protocol="HTTP/1.1" socket-binding="http"/>
>             [...]
>         </subsystem>
>         <subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:fictional-example:1.0">
>             <socket-to-use name="unique-to-bigger"/>
>         </subsystem>
>         [...]
>     </profile>
> </profiles>
>
> My question is - does the DC and HC manage that "fictional-example" subsystem extension module just like they handle deployments? In other words, will that subsystem's module get pushed out to the managed standalone servers (in the same way the DC/HC ensures the deployments are pushed out to the managed standalone servers?) If so, where do you put the module directory? On the DC, like deployments [3]? If not, how does this "fictional-example" subsystem that is defined in the profile make its way to the managed standalone server?
>
> Thanks,
> John Mazz
>
> [1] https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY10/Operating+modes
> [2] https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY10/Domain+Setup