[wildfly-dev] EJB over HTTP

Stuart Douglas stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:03:00 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are two problems with client generated ID's, and the main one is
> that you can't guarantee that the cancellation message will go to the same
> server as the original invocation. With my current design the initial
> request will send back a JSESSIONID that allows the cancel request to be
> targeted at the correct server (of course if we already have affinity then
> this is not a problem, but we can't guarantee that).
>
> The other problem is that there is no easy way to guarantee there will not
> be conflicts, although I guess you could send back a 409 and force the
> client to retry with a new cancellation id if a conflict happens. You can't
> really tie this to IP because it may be behind a load balancer, and
> something like a GUID may be expensive to generate for every invocation.

I just thought of a way to get around this. If we require the use of an
existing JSESSIONID for cancellable invocations both these problems are
resolved. The sticky session makes sure the correct node is targeted, and
the server can use the session id + invocation id as a unique key.

The only overhead of this is that we could need some kind of 'affinity'
request message that has no other purpose than generating a session id if
the client does not already have one (although this would only need to be
executed once).

Stuart