[wildfly-dev] Subsystem Hierarchy

Josef Cacek jcacek at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 04:12:37 EDT 2016

Hi Darran,

thank you for raising this discussion. We've heard from users/customers about complexity of WildFly/EAP management tools and it's one of the reasons why we prefer to split the hierarchy into logical groups instead of using the flat structure. We would also like to hear opinion of the UX team.

What was not mentioned before is the fact that one possible grouping is already present in the XSD of the Elytron subsystem:
- security-properties
- provider-loaders
- security-domains
- security-realms
- credential-security-factories
- mappers
- http
- sasl
- tls
- dir-contexts

IMO the domain model doesn't need to copy the XSD, but it could be a good starting point in the discussion.

Introducing the deeper hierarchy in the model would also allow to describe what each group ("component" in your sample) is responsible for and also how it relates to other groups.

The objection, that the experienced administrators would need to write longer commands is not so important from our point of view. For us seems much more important the quick boot into the configuration for administrators, which meets the Elytron subsystem for the first time.

The flat model solution disallows to work with CLI with the way like: "I know I need some realm, but don't know which exactly". Current flat solution is not able to display all available security-realm.

Thanks,

-- Josef