[wildfly-dev] WildFly 12 Plans, EE8, and Move to Quarterly Iterative Releases

Jaikiran Pai jai.forums2013 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 00:26:45 EST 2017

On 15/12/17 4:46 AM, Jason Greene wrote:

>> On Dec 13, 2017, at 11:32 PM, Jaikiran Pai <jai.forums2013 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:jai.forums2013 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Looks good in terms of quicker releases.
>>
>> A related question, given this proposal, would it mean there will never
>> be Alpha, Beta, CR of WildFly releases anymore?
>
> So with the master branch becoming always stable, and with the short
> windows I think Alphas and Betas are largely superseded by the nightly
> builds (effectively there is a release every night!). However if there
> is a strong desire for a Beta or a CR we could cut one. The overhead
> is small seeing as you can just take any commit from master.

My personal opinion based on what I have seen in the forums is that
there's very few users who really download a nightly build to try out
new things. I do know there are some who do that and do report issues,
but most of the times, it's only when there's some kind of announcement
about a "release", they try out the version. So I think having a CR (if
not a Beta) a couple of weeks before the actual release, backed by an
announcement about the CR would help get some real usage for that version.

-Jaikiran