[wildfly-dev] Analyse the management model

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 06:15:34 EST 2017

TL;DR

A tool to analyse the WildFly management model tree using a graph database.

# Longer version

As a heavy consumer of the WildFly management model I've always been
looking for a way to analyse the management model. So I decided to
start a little side project over the weekend. The result is a tool [1]
which reads a (sub)tree of the WildFly management model and stores the
results into a graph database using Neo4j [2]. To get started, you
need a running WildFly and Neo4j instance.

The tool writes nodes for each resource, attribute, operation, request
property and capability. In addition it creates relationships between
these nodes. You can use the data to

- get alternatives and requires relations between attributes
- get deprecated attributes and request parameters for one or all resources
- find attributes which might miss a capability reference
- find inconsistent attributes
- see differences between resources (using external diff tools)

See [3] for more use cases. I hope this is useful for others as well.
Feedback, suggestions and critics are welcome!

[1] https://github.com/hal/model-graph
[2] https://neo4j.com/
[3] https://github.com/hal/model-graph#examples

--