[wildfly-dev] Version notifications at library init

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 15:10:40 EDT 2017

This is relatively minor but I've been sitting on it for a pretty long
time so I wanted to see if anyone had a strong opinion about it.

In the past few years, we've internationalized many of our projects, and
in the process assigned unique, searchable codes to exceptions and
INFO-and-higher log messages.  In the meantime, as part of our existing
logging standards, we always log a version string for each library as it
is activated (this lets us quickly identify which versions of which
libraries are active, in order to aid in troubleshooting, etc.).

At present it is not part of our logging standard to assign a searchable
code to the version message.  It has been suggested that we begin doing
so.  If we did, I would recommend that the code be '0' for such messages
as most if not all of our projects use '1' as the lowest message ID.

The advantage of doing so is that it allows a given library's version
message to be quickly found in a log file, even if the language of the
log file is not known to the searcher.  The disadvantage is that it
brings in additional noise to the log which makes it harder to read.

Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other, or better
yet, some pros or cons to add?

--
- DML