[wildfly-dev] Updating WildFly instance with the Provisioning Tool

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Sep 25 11:51:24 EDT 2017

Thanks for this!

I want to make sure that what comes out of this are clear decisions about
what we're willing to handle in terms of various sorts of conflicts. What
kinds of things the tool is responsible for solving vs what the user has to
resolve, what tooling config settings we support for tweaking what the tool
will do for the user, etc.

When I say conflicts I don't just mean file conflicts; I also mean use case
conflicts. What's the right way / wrong way to do things and what
combinations are ok.

Part of what makes this interesting is the provisioning tool itself is
meant to be used for setting up the installation the way the user wants it.
So in many many cases if there is a diff it's because the user bypassed the
tool. Of course that's going to be very common, particularly when it comes
to the config files, where people have been using tools like the CLI to set
up their configs for years. Manually adding, removing and modifying
modules, hopefully we can wean people off that and get them to use the
tool, but still, people won't.

The 3-way diffing approach you describe sounds like it should be flexible
enough to handle various permutations.

Re: the "update feature pack" what happens if the user has produced and
stored one of those, then updates their base configuration, and then
applies that update feature pack. So, the user has taken an install
provisioned by the tool, with standalone.xml produced according to the
inputs to the tool. Then modified that via CLI/HAL and saved those mods in
an update feature pack. Then taken the bulk of those mods, adjusted their
inputs to the provisioning tool such that tool produces the desired config,
does an installation and wishes to apply that update feature pack?

Detail question:

"Filtering out some of the 'unimportant' files (tmp, logs)."

What does that mean? The tmp and logs dirs end up empty in the new
installation? That might be ok for tmp but for logs it sounds wrong. I'm
not sure it's necessary for tmp.

Red Hat