[wildfly-dev] Removal of commons-cli, commons-lang and commons-lang3 modules

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 15:24:09 EDT 2019

Currently WildFly includes 3 JBoss Modules modules that are not used in our
runtime. I would like to remove these in WildFly 17:

org.apache.commons.cli
org.apache.commons.lang[1]
org.apache.commons.lang3

All three have the "jboss.api" = "private" property set in their
module.xml, meaning they are marked for internal use only and we are free
to remove them. End user applications should not have referenced these
modules, and if they do we log a WARN on boot advising not to do that.

However, other projects that extend WildFly (i.e. write their own
subsystems) may be using these modules, so I wanted to notify any such
folks that these will likely be going away and you'll need to provide these
yourselves.ed.

Best regards,
Brian

[1] This one is referenced in a commented out module.xml section related to
My Faces 1.1 support. I've checked with Farah Juma and that is no longer
relevant and the comment can be removed.