[wildfly-dev] Removal of commons-cli, commons-lang and commons-lang3 modules

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Apr 3 12:40:28 EDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:43 AM Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse at jboss.com>
wrote:

> +1 the tool is a shaded jar so should not need to depend on another module.
>
> We may want to look at shading again but that would be a different topic.

Yes. Unless the supported use cases for the tool will change such that we
can require that it be run as a JBoss Modules modular app with the module
path including a WildFly installation's 'modules' dir (I doubt that), then
how this tool is built is not related to removing the module.

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 10:13 PM James Perkins <jperkins at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe the org.wildfly.security:wildfly-elytron-tool does use
>> org.apache.commons.lang3. However IIRC it's now shaded in so likely not an
>> issue. That could be why it was originally there.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 12:34 PM Brian Stansberry <
>> brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Currently WildFly includes 3 JBoss Modules modules that are not used in
>>> our runtime. I would like to remove these in WildFly 17:
>>>
>>> org.apache.commons.cli
>>> org.apache.commons.lang[1]
>>> org.apache.commons.lang3
>>>
>>> All three have the "jboss.api" = "private" property set in their
>>> module.xml, meaning they are marked for internal use only and we are free
>>> to remove them. End user applications should not have referenced these
>>> modules, and if they do we log a WARN on boot advising not to do that.
>>>
>>> However, other projects that extend WildFly (i.e. write their own
>>> subsystems) may be using these modules, so I wanted to notify any such
>>> folks that these will likely be going away and you'll need to provide these
>>> yourselves.ed.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Brian
>>>
>>> [1] This one is referenced in a commented out module.xml section related
>>> to My Faces 1.1 support. I've checked with Farah Juma and that is no longer
>>> relevant and the comment can be removed.

>> --
>> James R. Perkins
>> JBoss by Red Hat

Red Hat