[wildfly-dev] HAL subsystem

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 07:04:12 EDT 2019

The management console uses various settings which need to survive a browser
restart. Currently these settings are stored client side only either as cookie or
in the browser local storage:

# Cookie

- Google Analytics on/off
- Page size
- Poll on/off
- Poll time

# Local Storage

- Management endpoints (for HAL standalone mode)
- Pinned items in the finder
- JavaScript extensions
- Macros

Using the browser to store settings has the advantage of being very flexible.
The settings are also not bound to a specific WildFly instance. For some
settings like the management endpoints this is a requirement and won't change.

However other settings make more sense if they are stored on the server side.
That's why I'd like to propose a dedicated subsystem for HAL. It should hold
the current settings (except the management endpoints). It should be extendable
to store additional settings (currently there's an RFE to customize the
visibility of notifications in HAL).

Another advantage is that settings and data like macros could be properly
secured using RBAC.

I would like to hear your opinion about a dedicated subsystem for HAL.
Does it makes sense? How should it look like? Any feedback and comments are
welcome!

// Harald