[wildfly-dev] wildfly and transitive dependency to log4j-v1, possibly via apache cxf

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 17:59:17 EST 2019

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:40 PM James Perkins <jperkins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately we can't remove log4j support. We also need to support log4j
> v1 for legacy application support. We actually use a fork [1] of log4j
> which delegates the actual logging to the JBoss Log Manager.

That is a fork though; i.e. WildFly itself does not ship log4j:log4j.

A number of our testsuite modules do declare log4j:log4j as a test
dependency, but AIUI org.jboss.logmanager:log4j-jboss-logmanager is API
compatible so is it possible to instead have the testsuite depend on the
fork and eliminate this dependency?

> [1]: https://github.com/jboss-logging/log4j-jboss-logmanager
>
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 2:03 AM Andrew Marlow <marlow.agents at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am trying to build the latest wildfly from a clone of the github repo
>> at https://github.com/bstansberry/wildfly.git. I understand this is the
>> latest and is from the principal maintainer, Brian Stansberry. I've changed
>> the pom references to the old log4j-v1 to the new log4j-v2 but a pom
>> dependency analysis reveals there is a still a dependency on v1. I am at a
>> loss as to where exactly it is coming from. I hope someone here can shed
>> some light please.
>>
>> The relevant part of the dependency tree is shown from the extract below:
>>
>> INFO [m] org.wildfly:wildfly-ts-integ-smoke:jar:19.0.0.Beta1-SNAPSHOT
>> INFO [m] +- org.jboss.ws.cxf:jbossws-cxf-client:jar:5.3.0.Final:test
>>    :
>> INFO [m] |  +- log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.17:test
>>
>> Initially I thought it might be coming via an old version of apache CXF
>> but I see from the top level pom that version 3.3.4 is being used, which is
>> the latest. Any ideas?
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andrew Marlow