[wildfly-dev] Updating the WildFly archetypes

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 23:04:39 EST 2019

Hi Wolfgang,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:22 PM Wolfgang Knauf <wolfgang.knauf at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the archetypes at https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-archetypes
>   (e.g. "wildfly-javaee7-webapp-ear-blank-archetype") are for WildFly 8,
> and when updating the WildFly version in pom.xmls, a lot of further
> changes is required, see https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-9703
> (which is only part of the changes).
>
> I am interested in creating new archetypes for WildFly 15. What do you
> think?

Having someone working on these would be great! As you can see they haven't
been touched for several years.

The existing ones are so out of date that I think it's reasonable to just
replace them with EE 8 variants.

Note that WF 16 should be released next week, so if you want the latest
that's a better target.

> My plan is to name them e.g.
> "wildfly15-javaee8-webapp-ear-blank-archetype" and to create a new
> archetype version each time a new WildFly major version is released.

Including the WF version in the archetype name will result in a lot of
archetypes over time, as WF will do a new release each quarter. WDYT about
a version-less name and just tag the repo per release?

I suppose if we pruned versioned archetypes after a while the number of
archetypes wouldn't get too crazy.

> If you are OK with this, I will struggle with my first steps in Git, and
> I probably will ask some more or less dumb questions about details ;-).

No such thing as a dumb question!

Best regards,
Brian