[wildfly-dev] New WildFly Project Lead

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 16:58:00 EST 2019

Thanks, Jason!

It's a great privilege to work with the WildFly community and to work on
open source software. I owe a great debt to all of you. I'm basically a
self-taught engineer, and by far the best way to learn I've seen is to
collaborate with the people in this community, looking at your ideas and
the code you write and listening to your feedback on my ideas and code.

Jason, it's also a tremendous honor and privilege working with you. Your
leadership of JBoss AS and WildFly has been off the charts outstanding. I
have very big shoes to fill.

2019 should be another exciting year for WildFly. We'll continue the
quarterly release cadence that we started last year with WildFly 12, so the
next major, WildFly 16, should be out in less than two months.  This year
Jakarta EE will be a priority, both getting Jarkarta EE 8 certification and
helping drive EE forward. Another major focus will be continuing to improve
the usability of WildFly on the cloud -- enhanced observability, enhanced
ability to tailor your installation to your specific requirements, enhanced
ability to use external services instead of in-vm resources for things like
messaging and caching, and development of an OpenShift operator[1] for
Wildfly. And plenty of other goodies too!

Besides following this list and JIRA, I recommend that people interested in
the development of WildFly occasionally check out the wildfly-proposals
github repo[2]. For any new feature going into WildFly there will be a
document added to that repo where the feature requirements will be
discussed and sometimes some design details. Participating in the review of
proposals there (via PR comments) is a great way to help ensure features
meet your needs.

[1] https://blog.openshift.com/introducing-the-operator-framework/
[2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-proposals/pulls

Best regards,