[wildfly-dev] Allowing disabling of 'graceful startup'

Ingo Weiss ingo at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 09:40:27 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-30 17:40:52-0500, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 12:59 AM Ingo Weiss <ingo at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Brian, thanks for looking into this.
> >
> > On 2019-07-29 12:17:36-0500, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> > > The Question
> > >
> > > Question is whether to
> > >
> > > a) have an overall config switch to disable graceful startup across the
> > > board (e.g. a new value for the --start-mode cmd line param passed to
> > > standalone.sh)
> >
> > I think this the better solution based on your pros. Having this
> > limited to only HTTP(S) requests makes it very limiting and ends up
> > not being sufficient in some cases, as you described.
> >
> > Do you think it would be possible to make this configurable per
> > subsystem as well?
> >
> > For some subsystems, like Undertow and EJB, you may want to use as
> > soon as they become available to reach out other systems or even call
> > a servlet on another deployment that has already started, this a case
> > I've seen before, while others, like Messaging, you may want to wait
> > for other subsystem, like JCA, to come up first. Does it make sense?
> >

> If I understand you correctly, instead of my a) a global flag, or my b) an
> undertow flag, there would be several b)s. One to tell undertow to let
> requests through, one to tell EJB to let requests through,, one to tell
> messaging to let requests through (although that one's theoretical as
> messaging doesn't have graceful startup/shutdown anyway.)  Probably one for
> every subsystem that does anything related to graceful. The user then
> toggles the ones they want for their app. They'd have to know which they
> want.

That's what I was thinking.

> That would be a quite big increase in scope.

Yeah, it was an increase in scope indeed, but I think it might end up
being a better fit for users.

It could surely be a multiple-phase approach. We start with a, see how
it goes, then move to b * no_of_possible_subsystems.

> Not sure it's worth it, but it's something to think about while I'm on PTO.
> :)

Enjoy and don't think about this. That's bad for you :)
--
Ingo Weiss