[wildfly-dev] Wildfly bootable jar

Jean Francois Denise jdenise at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 13:28:41 EDT 2020

Hi,

in the context of WFLY-13305
<https://issues.redhat.com/browse/WFLY-13305> we are defining a bootable
jar for WildFly. The detailed proposal is there
<https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-proposals/pull/306>.

A first POC of the feature is already used in the MicroProfile starter
web site (you can go to https://start.microprofile.io/ , select
"WildFly" as "MicroProfile Runtime" and select a set of MicroProfile
specifications. This will generate and download a pre-configured mvn
project to build a bootable jar for WildFly 19).

The maven plugin in use is a proof of concept that is mainly compliant
with the proposal
<https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-proposals/pull/306>. This plugin has
been released from my own personal repository[1] and is going to be soon
moved to "wildfly-jar-maven-plugin" repository in the
https://github.com/wildfly-extras organisation. In the prototype, the
runtime that launches the server relies on WildFly Embedded API. For
WildFly 20, we are re-designing the runtime to not depend on Embedded
and are integrating it in wildfly-core[2] project.

The plugin repository comes with a set of examples[3] that highlight
possible use-cases (dev mode, hollow jar, JBOSS CLI based customization,
Openshift s2i, Google JIB and advanced galleon datasource integration).

Although this plugin and runtime will evolve and mature, they should
already give a feel of the feature.

Thank-you.

JF Denise

[1] https://github.com/jfdenise/wildfly-uberjar-maven-plugin