[aerogear-dev] [SimplePush] Registration with the UnifiedPush

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Jul 25 01:17:35 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Kris Borchers <kris at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2013, at 10:29 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Kris Borchers <kris at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 17, 2013, at 4:37 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the message spec discussions, a while ago, we agreed that for
>> "triggering" notifications for registered SimplePush clients, the
>> "deviceType" needs to match "web" (see [1] for the spec).
>>
>> Right now, only a few "metadata" items are submitted to the UnifiedPush
>> Server, using the "registerWithPushServer" (perhaps we should rename it ?):
>>
>> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-js/blob/Notifier/src/unified-push/aerogear.unifiedpush.js#L48-L52
>>
>> However, I have already filed a ticket for that (see [2]), since on
>> Cordova (and similar things) a bit more "metadata" would be nice (since
>> they are really treated as "native" clients, with APNs/GCM setup on the UP
>> server etc)
>>

>> Now... talking about metadata (including the "deviceType"). The above
>> statement, that the "deviceType" needs to match "web" for SimplePush
>> clients leads to a question:
>>
>> * Do we want to have ALL SimplePush clients auto-submit the
>> "deviceType":"web", or not ?
>>

>> So deviceType is required no matter what it's set to, correct?
>>

> No, we could have the SimplePush clients NOT submitting the "deviceType"
> value at all (like today).
>

> It would be just used, on the sective send, a logical query on the
> 'selective' send.
>
> So:
> If "deviceType:["web",.......] is present in the payload - SimplePush is
> triggered as well. That is fine.
>
> right now, I did assume that we want to "auto register" the 'web'
> device-type for the SP clients, but I can easily remove that assumption.
>

> Well, I didn't realize you made that assumption so that is why the client
> isn't currently working with latest UPS. I guess I don't care either way
> let's just decide what we'll do so I can either update the client or leave
> it as is. Until then, it's broken.

https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-unified-push-server/commit/7c0ad459d

As discussed on IRC, I did remove this assumption, for simple push clients.

However, for Cordova clients, there should be an option to provide other
metadata for deviceType, but we already have a ticket for that:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGJS-56