[aerogear-dev] Android PushConfig

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Jun 13 15:11:06 EDT 2013

Hello,

awesome!

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com>wrote:

> Good News everyone!  We have code which registers Android devices to
> receive messages from pushee.
> It is still very VERY limited, but code which will display a
> notification when the app receives a message looks like this:
>
> https://gist.github.com/secondsun/242063868b09db030331

the Callback (on r.register()), is success invoked, when PushEE returns
HTTP Status 20x (for successful REGISTRATION of the device (aka
"MobileVariantInstance"), right?
Similar, the 'failure' is invoked when PushEE returns any error code (e.g.
no connection, or 404 or what ever), right ?

BTW. is the PushConfig "magically" receiving the regId, from the Intent's
onRegistered()?

> One of the reservations I've heard is whether or not the PushConfig
> object should only have the data sent to pushee in it and put other
> configuration elsewhere or if it should be the generic push
> configuration object and let AG pick out what it needs to send to pushee.

I am fine, if the ctor accepts the RegistrationId, if it is clear (e.g. in
document, or where else), that it used the intent, like here:
http://developer.android.com/reference/com/google/android/gcm/GCMBaseIntentService.html#GCMBaseIntentService(java.lang.String..
.)

and _not_ being submitted to the UnifiedPush, when storing the "metadata".

(could be confusing, e.g. when looking at the HTTP /device/register
endpoint description - but I may be wrong)

> By unifying into a single config object we make the code simpler/more
> approachable.  However if we slice it up a bit more finely we can
> decouple pushee support from GCM if we want to have an AOSP flavor of
> push messaging in the future.

Not sure... (iOS SDK in mind): Perhaps it's good to keep "PushConfig" for
the PushEE-Metadata.
That allows us to keep the SenderID for a (later) Convenience Intent? Not
sure... mostly thinking out loud