[aerogear-dev] Android Guides

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 14:57:04 EDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 04:44 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> great to see some docs/guides
>
> Here are my first/initial comments:
>
> 1) Group them into a subfolder, like daniel did, for the controller
+1

> 2) links to the matching JavaDocs (classes (e.g. PipeHandlert etc))
> does not hurt
+1

> 3) not sure about if the `AerogearAndroidCustomizingPipes.asciidoc` is
> really useful ...
I disagree.  It may be titled wrong, but knowing how the Android library
implements Pipes and how to extend this implementations for your own end
is quite useful.

At least that is the goal of the doc, what did you see differently?

> "AerogearAndroidPagination"
> 4) You never show ParameterProvider...
Because the default implementation of Parameter Provider just consumes
data provided by the PageConsumer.  Explicitly setting it isn't necessary.

> 5) what is config.setDataRoot()
The root of the data you want to operate on as explained in the Intro
document and the API's.

For example, in the DevNexus result set for speakers you have

{
     speakers :  {
         data:[
             {speaker1},
             {speaker2}
         ]
     }
}

The "list" of data you are asking for actually starts at the data
parameter of the speakers parameter.
config.setDataRoot("speakers.data"); makes this explicit.

> --> looks like the Android bits are a bit _different_, compared to the
> iOS/JS version
> 6) do I really have to implement my own "PageResultExtractor"
No unless you are consuming it from a service where the paging doesn't
follow "simple" patterns.
> The Pagination feels: Lot's of code... for a simple read...

Because the simple read of pagination is linked to at the beginning for
the doc.  This is for consuming arbitrary paging from a site. Perhaps
this needs to be an "advanced" doc and I should discuss simpler paging
in an into doc.  Like Pipes.

> -Matthias
Seems like some of the docs might be missing things (an intro read to
paging, more explicit goals of the guid etc).