[aerogear-dev] Simple Push Server Verticle

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Mon May 27 04:38:40 EDT 2013

Hi,

This weekend I've been playing with Dan's Simple Push Server implementation
( https://github.com/danbev/aerogear-simplepush-server/ ) and I started to
write a vert.x implementation of the server.

But ... why ?

*  By nature, vert.x is meant for asynch applications and Simple Push was a
perfect fit.

* It can easily scale just by running more verticle instances (and soon
deployable on openshift)

* Showing how Dan's server can be used as "library", indeed the vert.x
implementation consist just in one script, a verticle, relying on the
protocol jar and the server impl jar.

*  Removing boiler plate code, vert.x APIs wrap a lot of Netty's logic.
Basically, the script replace the Netty package of the server
implementation
https://github.com/danbev/aerogear-simplepush-server/tree/master/server/src/main/java/org/jboss/aerogear/simplepush/server/netty

* It's fun and written in Groovy (and because it's vertx, it would be easy
to port it to Java, JavaScript or Python, we are brolyglot ! )

So, it's really early/alpha work, a lot of stuff is missing right now but
if there is interest, we could add these (security, scheduled "cleaner"
verticle ...).

You can find it here
https://github.com/sebastienblanc/aerogear-simplepush-server/tree/verticle/verticle
and
use the websocket demo page of Pushee, just as for the server version.
Instructions are included in the readme.