[aerogear-dev] How to propagate results for non Travis CI?

Karel Piwko kpiwko at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 12:30:34 EDT 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 12:31:20 -0300
Douglas Campos <qmx at qmx.me> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 04:19:10PM +0200, Karel Piwko wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > QE needs to setup jobs that would allow us to test more than what's
> > available in Travis - Ubuntu hosts are pretty limiting plus they contains
> > OpenJDK related bugs [1][2].
> >
> > The problem is that only instance we have access to is behind VPN, so it
> > might be complicated/impossible to read the results/get better feedback.
> >
> > Following questions needs to be answered, some suggestions included in []:
> >
> > * Where to put result logs? [http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/]
>
> This might be a good place, since it's already set up.
>
> > * How to notify and who to notify? [email|push messages ;-)|some specific
> >   ML|commiter only]
>
> We can always create a build status mailing list and funnel everything
> there.
>
> > ** IRC is unfortunately a no-go here
>
> boo :(
>
> > * When to notify? [failure only|unstable|always]
>
> Failure only
Sorry, I was not explicit here:
* Failure: job didn't finish (aborted to to some error)
* Unstable: some tests failed

What about specific states, like still-failing or still-unstable?

> > * How often to run tests? [nightly|per commit]
>
> This really boils down to what kind of tests are being run, and how busy
> is the build-slave queue.

Well, per commit strategy is unrealistic setup when trying to rerun everyting.

> > * How to enable developers to easily rerun something? [email|irc]
>
> irc would be easier, email safer?

I prefer IRC, however QE does not cover all timezones. In such cases email
makes more sense.

> > * Something else?
>
> how crowded is this env? do we have OSX slaves on it?

Pretty crowded but this does not mean we can't get some time there :-).
As for OS X slaves, they are especially crowded.