[aerogear-dev] Aerogear Cordova Push Plugin: Actual vs Expected Results

keithdmoore94 keith at kdmooreconsulting.com
Wed Jun 18 08:54:15 EDT 2014

I am seeing behavior that is inconsistent with other native applications that
I have used as well as inconsistent behavior between Android and iOS.  For
the sake of simplicity, I am going to leave the “foreground” flag out of
this discussion.

Precondition
Three push notifications have been sent by an external client.  Let’s call
them “Push1”, “Push2” and “Push3”.  They were sent in that order by the
external client.  Let’s assume the client received them in that order as
well.  Mobile application is not in the foreground.

Actions
User navigates to the notifications panel.

Android Experience
Android will only show the very last notification in the notification panel.
User touches the notification(“Push3”), the app is brought into the
foreground.  The notifications are received by the app in the order in which
they were received.  All the push notifications in the notification panel
are gone.  First of all, I would have expected all three notifications to be
displayed in the notifications panel.  Also, I would expect that the
remaining “Push1” and “Push3” notifications to remain in the notifications
panel and NOT be sent to the app.

iOS Experience
iOS will show all the apps notifications in the notification panel.  User
touches the “Push2” notification, the app is brought into the foreground.
The “Push2” notification is received by the app.   The others are NOT
received.  All the push notifications in the notification panel are gone.
Here I would expect the “Push1” and “Push3” notifications to remain in the
notifications panel.

The behavior I am seeing seems inconsistent with almost all the other apps I
have used that support push notifications.  Seems like the plugin should be
changed to have standard behavior and should be consistent across both
Android and iOS as much as possible.  I am considering working on doing
that.  Any thoughts regarding this ?

Thanks,

Keith D. Moore