[aerogear-dev] External vs Embedded browser for OAuth2 libs and Cordova plugin

Corinne Krych corinnekrych at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 03:43:30 EST 2014

Hello Guys,

Erik did some great progress on OAuth2 iOS plugin using external browser approach. Some workarounds are needed for iOS because of Swift based plugin and are documented here:
https://github.com/edewit/aerogear-oauth2-plugin#workaround-for-ios

As descibed in the readme instruction:
https://github.com/edewit/aerogear-oauth2-plugin#aerogear-oauth2-cordova
I think the best approach is to go external browser, one of the main issue with embedded view is that the user stills have to enter credentials in native app. Although it might offer a better UX experience not switching apps, it’s seen as less secure. My preference would be to go external. On iOS, the re-enter app is solved using URI schema. The same approach is used fro Cordova plugin, the schema is configured in the config.xml cordova file.

@summersp @passos do you have plan to move to external browser?

Erik started working on Oauth2 Android with embedded view, but if we’re planning to move to ext. browser maybe it's worth putting the plugin implementation on hold untill we got that?

++
Corinne
—————
AeroGear iOS tech lead