[aerogear-dev] Large user base with Aerogear Unified Push

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Oct 30 09:58:00 EDT 2014

Hi Michael,

thanks for the interest in AeroGear and our UnifiedPush Server!

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM, michael <michael.yates at abc.net.au> wrote:

> All,
> We have been evaluating Aerogear Unified Push and things are going well so
> far.
> But up until now we have only had a small numbers of users (in the tens)
> registering or requiring a push.
>
> We are looking at adding push functionality into one of our core products.
> Last time we did a major revision to our core product we had in the order
> of
> half a million users upgrade to the new version in the first 24 hours.
> Unfortunately I don't have stats to hand on the busiest hour during that
> period.
>
> If we add push to our Android and iOS versions of our application and a
> large proportion of our users accept the new permission in app we could be
> looking at hundreds of thousands of registrations in a day and tens of
> thousands in an hour. Note that we are not migrating from another provider
> so this will be a "cold start".
>
> So my questions are:
> - Has anyone used Aerogear at this sort of scale? (happy to talk out of
> band
> if you don't want to put your name out in a forum)

not that we know of. We know about a few users, but we don't know their
app/device numbers.

> - What is the best deployment architecture to go for in this case?

I'd recommend using latest greatest on WildFly8.x

> - Similar to the above question - will Aerogear work nicely behind a load
> balancer?

we know of usage behind nginx

> - If there are multiple instances of the app running can it take advantage
> of read slaves if DB is a bottle neck?

yes, that would help

> - Has anyone done any sizing or transaction rates against AWS instances?

nope

> - Do any of the database back ends perform better or worse for this sort of
> on boarding?

we have support for Postgres and MySQL.

> Obviously once we get all of our users on we will want to push them some
> messages. So has anyone done pushes to hundreds of thousands of users using
> Aerogear?

we don't know exact number of our users installation base.

> What was the approximate time from the start to the end of the
> process?
>
> Note I've read JIRA and haven't seen much related to scalability except
> - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-661 from
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/aerogear-dev/2014-May/007793.html

in our testing https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-999 came up.
This should reduce some perf. issues; More to details come!

> I also note with interest that dealing with pushing messages at scale isn't
> without its challenges
> -
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16352131/apple-push-notifications-in-bulk

For APNs we use java-apns, which is used by major companies as well.

> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> PS - Assuming we do go with Aerogear we will happily write up our findings
> on how it ended up ;)

sweet!