[aerogear-dev] Concern with es6 modules and AeroGear.js

Lukáš Fryč lukas.fryc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:45:01 EST 2015

TL;DR: agree with keeping the ES6 on the branch

---

Keeping aside the personal preference, I believe that ES6 modules have huge
potential in mobile applications space
since they are bringing so-needed structure and thus allow for compile-time
optimizations (that are even more crucial on mobile than on desktop).

But as Luke said, this is not feature that would talk to everyone.

What we got in ES6 branch is a solution that works for:
* global namespace users
* people preferring browser modules (AMD, but CommonJS is possible)
* people looking into the future with ES6

But how many people preferring one or another form of modules we can find?
I would agree with Luke's 10% of users considering the use of modules, and
fraction of it using in current projects.

Unless we won't be proved to be wrong and we find a community members
really trying the ES6 branch,
I would stay aside of it as suggested.

Our research definitely helped to prepare a path and if nothing else, it
helped me understand deeply both, the Aerogear.js code and its build
process.