[aerogear-dev] What's new in AeroGear (18th May)

Christos Vasilakis cvasilak at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:14:44 EDT 2015

Hi all,

in order to minimize the amount of email on what's new in our various
platforms, we have decided to combine into one collective email (thanks to
abstractj for the suggestion!).

So here is our first instalment with a hope it will become a useful tool to
learn about our latest developments

*What's new in Android*

   - UPS Metrics support has been added into the push library
   <https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-push/pull/36> as well as
   on the accompanied HelloWorld demo
   <https://github.com/danielpassos/unified-push-helloworld/tree/analytics>
   .

(Since analytics also cover all our platforms, if you are interested in the
topic, we suggest to visit our our analytics mail thread
<http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-Metrics-Endpoint-was-Re-Advanced-Analtyics-new-PR-and-call-to-the-client-tech-leads-td11581.html>
get a high level view of the architecture)

   - Since we initiated work
   <https://github.com/simpligility/android-maven-plugin/issues/623> to
   support JUnit 4 in the official maven android-plugin and this work has been
   merged as part of the 4.2.1 release, we have started adding support in our
   android libraries too, with the first library to get love be the
   android-pipe <https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-android-pipe/pull/35>.
   Work is under-way to support our other Android libraries too.

*What's new in iOS*

   - As with Android, work to support analytics has been started in
our push-sdk
   library <https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-ios-push/pull/56> as well
   as on the accompanied HelloWorld demo app
   <https://github.com/jboss-mobile/unified-push-helloworld/pull/6>.
   Although work was initiated first for our Swift variants (we love Swift!),
   this week we'll carry on our effort for an ObjC version of the same API.
   - iOS 2.4 release is on its way! Main focus is to strengthen iOS7
   support and Objc/Swift interoperability. Check out project's JIRA tracker
   <https://issues.jboss.org/issues/?filter=12323789> for more details and
   help shape the release.

*What's new in Apache Cordova*

A new version of the Push Plugin 1.0.3 has been released. Details of the
release can be found in the official announcement
<http://aerogear-dev.1069024.n5.nabble.com/aerogear-dev-PushPlugin-release-1-0-3-td11592.html>
.

*What's new in JS*
Nothing new to report with regards to our JS libs but it was sure a heavy
week in the JS community with many core project having new releases: These
caught our attention:

* Convergence <https://github.com/nodejs/node> of Node.js and IO.js.
* Release of Ember 1.12
<http://emberjs.com/blog/2015/05/13/ember-1-12-released.html>
* Not really a new thing, but for those interested in using ES6 today you
many find this project <https://babeljs.io/> interesting.
* For those interested in Angular, there is a new tutorial
<https://auth0.com/blog/2015/05/14/creating-your-first-real-world-angular-2-app-from-authentication-to-calling-an-api-and-everything-in-between/>
on getting started with Angular 2.

We would love to get feedback and further testings from the community
regarding our current on-going analytic work, so if you have some spare
time that's a perfect time to jump-in and give us feedback.

That's all for now, see you all next week!

*AeroGear team*