[aerogear-dev] GSoC week 11 update

Dimitra Zuccarelli dimitrazuccarelli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 05:30:07 EDT 2017

Thanks Matthias! :)

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Dimitra Zuccarelli <
> dimitrazuccarelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys, here's the PR for the generic ser/des: https://github.com/ma
>> tzew/kafka-cdi/pull/17 <https://github.com/matzew/kafka-cdi/pull/17>
>>
>> As far as testing goes, there are a few issues with abstract classes
>> obviously, and since most of the objects we'll be producing contain
>> 'Variant' (which is an abstract class) we'll have to come up with a nice
>> solution for that - we're open to ideas!
>>

> not sure I follow :-) but why not using one of the concrete impls of it ?

Because then we'd have to define a producer/consumer for every concrete
implementation, like SimpleKafkaProducer<String, AndroidVariant>,
SimpleKafkaProducer<String, AdmVariant> etc.. I think that would be
extremely inefficient

>> Right now it won't work "out of the box" with Polina's PR due to the
>> List<Variant> in the PushApplication class:
>>
>> Caused by: com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.JsonMappingException: Can not
>> construct instance of org.jboss.aerogear.unifiedpush.api.Variant,
>> problem: abstract types either need to be mapped to concrete types, have
>> custom deserializer, or be instantiated with additional type information
>>
>>  at [Source: [B at d4163ef; line: 1, column: 229] (through reference chain:
>> org.jboss.aerogear.unifiedpush.api.PushApplication["variants"])
>>

> do we need to define some mapping in UPS?

What do you mean?

>> Two other things:
>>

>> * Bad things will happen if objects of incorrect type are pushed to the
>> same topic.
>>

> when or how ? any code/pointers?
>

>> This will definitely have to be addressed by enforcing some basic
>> security (AGPUSH-2109 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-2109>)
>>

>> * We'll have to make sure our logs are a little more "informative" as we
>> can't log whole objects obviously for readability.
>>
> +1
>

>> Right now, even with just two consumers, the log is quite overwhelming
>> (i.e. consumer configs etc)
>>

> we could make the kafka own logging quiet ;-) That's IMO the verbose one,
> which is sometimes handy.
>
> But in WildFly we could limit those to WARN/ERROR

+1
It's handy for development but otherwise we should limit it I think