[Apiman-user] applications without plans?

Tim Dudgeon tdudgeon.ml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 11:17:46 EDT 2015

On 14/10/2015 14:57, Eric Wittmann wrote:
> That's an imaginative use of apiman and it should work precisely as
> you have described it.  You are right that if you use applications,
> then you must also have at least one plan.  The API key is necessary
> in this situation because the gateway will need to know which
> application is calling the service (so that it can pick the right set
> of policies to apply).
Yes, I understand why that is necessary.
This is because the service is being called directly through the service
owner's "path". e.g.
/apiman-gateway/ServiceOwnerOrg/service/1.0
Might it (in principle) be possible to access the service through the
the application owners "path" e.g
/apiman-gateway/AppOwnerOrg/AppName/ServiceOwnerOrg/service/1.0

> Your only other solution would be a custom authentication policy,
> which would obviously allow you to do whatever you wanted.  In that
> scenario, you will presumably still need to identify the
> application/organization in some way.  For example, each application
> would need to identify itself via a custom http header, or a query
> param, etc.
Yes, that might work. A sort of delegating authenticator that delegates
to the appropriate realm based on a header param.
But it would not allow each organisation to provide custom policies.
e.g. I have in mind that an individual organisation might want to add
user based rate limiting to prevent one of its users using all the
organisation's quota.

Tim