[bv-dev] Overriding constraints in inheritance hierarchies

Gunnar Morling gunnar.morling at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 2 14:39:01 EST 2012

Hi experts,

just recently there was a ticket created in the HV tracker [1] which
suggests to provide a way for "overriding" constraints within
inheritance hierarchies, i.e. the constraints defined on a property of
a parent bean are re-defined on the same property on an inherited bean
type (instead of being added up).

The approach suggested in the ticket doesn't work as described there,
as it isn't possible to define a generic array of constraint
annotations. Nevertheless it might be useful to have a means of
disabling the constraints from super types in special cases.

That said, I personally didn't have that requirement yet, but it makes
sense to me that someone might find this useful.

Any thoughts?

--Gunnar

[1] https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HV-548