[forge-dev] Forge'in ahead with JBoss Tools

Burr Sutter bsutter at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 08:48:34 EDT 2012

Thank you Thomas - this is great feedback.  I have not had enough hours to think about Forge's positioning.  With the 8 videos I have just published at www.vimeo.com/jbossdeveloper  (0 through 7), I am also suffering from information overload :-)

With all that said, one of the things I like about Forge is - no proprietary annotations or "beside files" or whatever that mess is - in other words standards-based, normal everyday source code.   The trick is...what if the data model/schema changes - and I have made tweaks to my UI treatment, like using different field input types (e.g. richfaces or jquery plugins).

One thing I was planning on discussing with Lincoln and the Forge roadmap is around the idea of "Forge as a 4GL" - at the moment it feels mostly like a static code generator - which has the problem of schema changes.   But Forge as a 4GL could be more responsive, almost "runtime" code generation.  More like what you get in the Rails world.  :-)