[gatein-dev] Commit messages

Christophe Laprun claprun at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 06:47:44 EST 2009

Could we please make sure that the commit messages are meaningful?

Just committing lots of changes with a simple repetition of the related JIRA number and title as a commit message is not very helpful. I understand that nothing more is required when the changes are simple but when they involve several files with sometimes complex changes, it'd be easier for everyone if a description of the work that was done was used instead of a rather useless repetition of the JIRA issue summary. This is especially true when several different commits are made for the same issue.

This would help people trying to figure out what was done when looking at the commit emails and possibly help track down issues down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Cordialement / Best,
Chris

==
Principal Software Engineer / JBoss Enterprise Middleware Red Hat, Inc.
Follow GateIn: http://blog.gatein.org / http://twitter.com/gatein
Follow me: http://metacosm.codepuccino.com / http://twitter.com/metacosm