[Hawkular-dev] start of message bus REST client

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 17:51:31 EDT 2015

I created a very simple REST client that you can use to send any json string as a bus message.

It requires no dependencies other than apache httpclient and jboss logging.

See: https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-bus/tree/master/hawkular-bus-rest-client

   new org.hawkular.bus.restclient.RestClient(url).postTopicMessage(topicName, jsonPayload, headers);

My agent uses it to send metrics to the hawkular bus's metric topic. I use REST rather than the bus-common API because (AFAIK) the thinking is this agent can be deployed in something like WildFly Core where JMS API isn't even available.

So right now, this agent should be sending data just like the Pinger - its sending metrics directly to Metrics REST interface for storage and sending those same metrics to the message bus's metric topic so other things like alerts can process it. Unfortunately, the kettle UI can't show any of it since it is tightly related to the Pinger's metrics and nothing else. But I think its working :)