[Hawkular-dev] Ways to Test Availability Down?

Michael Foley mfoley at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 08:28:04 EDT 2015

Hi Michael,

This is a great question ... thank you for raising it.

So you are asking about a mock resource ... or test fixture ... to facilitate integration testing of Hawkular? I think that is a great idea. In fact, I can envision a small portfolio or quiver of mock resources or test fixutres:

    * availability up
    * availability down
    * availability unknown
    * generating metrics low volume
    * generating metrics high volume
    * etc ...
    * to cover absolutely every primary use-case & resource that Hawkular would me monitoring

I agree if we had a set, quiver, portfolio, or inventory of test fixtures it would facilitate integration testing.

Next question ... might be "where"?

    * on the JON QE Bladecenter ...
    * in a private Docker registry

        * developers and QE could do a 'docker pull' and get whatever fixture they needed
        * this would de-couple the fixtures from the bladecenter ...and allow the test fixtures to be manipulated more easily by the developers and QE
    *
in a public Docker registry

        * this would decouple from the bladecenter
        * allow developers in the community to use these test fixtures

Something I saw recently ... is this thing called Arqullian Cube ... which can be used to control the lifecycle of Docker containers as part of integration tests. Some info here ... --->> http://blog.arungupta.me/run-javaee-tests-wildfly-docker-arquillian-cube/ So with this approach possibly ... integration tests could be written where test fixtures for availability up/down/unknown are programmatically spun up in Docker and automated integration tests run.

Also ... another possible approach ... is to programmatically control these test fixtures in our Bladecenter via a REST API. So we/QE built a REST API to wrap the RHEV/Foreman infrastructure in our Bladecenter. So anything that can be done thru the UI can be done programmatically. So you can imagine an integration test for availability... where in @BeforeClass ... the automated test makes a REST call to spin up ...say ... an availability unknown test fixture ...and some tests run.

Let's please talk more about this. I would like to learn more about your mock site idea where the availability state changes on a schedule. I'll set up a Bluejeans time and an etherpad where we can discuss this ...requirements, approaches, use-cases, etc ....

Regards,

Michael Foley
JON and Lumbini QE Supervisor