[Hawkular-dev] Where should integration components live?

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 15:09:11 EST 2015

Currently integration components, particularly those that interact with the bus, live in the respective component repos. I have been working with Peter on HAWKULAR-844 to migrate the bus from ActiveMQ to the default messaging subsystem in WildFly 10, which is based on ActiveMQ Artemis. While working on this, I started to wonder if all of the integration components should live in the same repo. Let’s say I make a breaking change in the bus, then we have to update and cut releases for each of the component repos, which is currently five or six. If the integration components live in the same repo as the bus, it is much easier to make the changes and we only have one new release to worry about. Keeping the integration components in the same repo should also help reduce the number of dependencies in each of the component repos which makes development on any one of them easier. I want to know what people think because once HAWKULAR-844 is done, I would like to consider some refactoring in the bus code to utilize JMS 2.0 APIs including support for async sending/receiving messages. This would likely entail breaking changes.

- John