[Hawkular-dev] [Alerts] Thoughts on the notification system

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 08:45:44 EST 2015

> Am 06.02.2015 um 14:14 schrieb Catherine Robson <crobson at redhat.com>:
>

>> 	Thomas Segismont	February 6, 2015 at 7:17 AM
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been thinking about the alert notification system lately.
>>
>> What's the information needed to send a notification?
>> How to convert the information into text when a human is the recipient?
>> How to configure the system?
>> How to make it fit into the Hawkular suite?
>>
>> 1. Contextual data
>>
>> A notification has contextual data. Contextual data is comprised of:
>> - alert definition data
>> - data involved in the trigger (for example metrics and availability values)
> Many times there are symptoms of a problem that are seen through alerts.  If there are many alerts happening around the same trigger time, should we be adding pointers to other potentially related alerts to help users diagnose the root cause faster?

Yes in the medium to long term.

>> be configurable for convenience.
> Are we considering alert escalation?  Setting up a list that the alerts go to by default, and then if they are not resolved by some configurable SLA, they are then sent to another group of people to raise the awareness of the problem?

Yes.

>> When a human is the recipient, information can be turned into text with
>> a template engine (like freemarker).
>>
>> Information depends on the alert definition, but a default should be
>> configurable for convenience.
> Can we do full HTML format (maybe txt vs. HTML configurable).  It would be nice to add links directly into the web console for that resource that alerted so users can very quickly click through to investigate the problem.

please only do html if explicitly enabled. There are enough admins with text clients, that prefer not to wade through html

With the idea of templates, the user can create templates on html and without. We would provide some defaults, but the
user needs to have the possibility to tailor them to their needs.

>> 4. Configuration
>>
>> Notifiers may expose REST endpoints (with standardized URIs)

What for?

>> 6. Storage
>>
>> There needs to be some shared storage where to bind configuration and
>> templates to alert definitions.

Can you elaborate?