[Hawkular-dev] REST ideas

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 08:43:00 EST 2015

> Am 11.02.2015 um 14:23 schrieb Viliam Rockai <vrockai at redhat.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at hawkular-inventory and I've got several comments (liveoak
> legacy) which could apply on other rest endpoints, too:
>
> 1. I think it would be easier to use/get if we make it more
> hierarchical. That means; instead of using two distinct URLs (resources
> vs. resource) for lists (/hawkular/inventory/rest-test/resources/) and
> entities (/hawkular/inventory/rest-test/resource/x1422733176502), we use
> only one (/hawkular/inventory/rest-test/resources/x1422733176502).

This is a good question/suggestion. I tried to follow the pattern of <foo>S
for list + creation
and <foo>/x for identifying individual objects - sort of like in natural language.

> 2. Sometimes, in the docs, attribute called "name" is used, and referred
> to, as an "id". Would it be possible and make sense to choose just one
> notation and use it in the representation?

Yes. I think we may need some more overall cleanup as soon as we know
more about some terms and semantics we want to use.

> 3. Usage of methods: When you want to create a metric, you use the PUT
> method. What about unifying methods in some commonly used manner. Like
> post for create, put for edit?

I guess you are right here. I used put instead of post for the metrics, as they are
sort of dependent objects.

  Heiko