[Hawkular-dev] Alerts - Response Time and Downtime requirements

Catherine Robson crobson at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 17:25:37 EST 2015

Hi -

We see that alerting on response time and downtime are part of what we
hope to provide in the first iteration of Hawkular.  We'd like to get
started on the designs related to alert definition/configuration.  I'm
hoping that you can all share some of the requirements around alert
definitions that you think we need to have for Hawkular at this point.
I don't want to overdo it by looking at JON - I'd like to start simple.
Here's the requirements for the web console as I currently am thinking
of them, but would like the team to comment on them and add/remove
requirements as you see necessary.

Overall Alerts
As an administrator of a website, I would like to have all alerts sent
to me through e-mail.
Ad an administrator of a website, I would like to have all alerts sent
to me via text message.

Downtime
As an administrator of a website, I would like to configure Hawkular so
an alert is sent to me every time the system goes down.
As an administrator of a website, I would like to configure Hawkular so
an alert is only sent to me after the system is down for a certain
length of time, so I'm not alerted if there is a very minor downtime event.

Response time
As an administrator of a website, I would like to configure Hawkular to
alert me when my website's response time is slower than a threshold I
have set so I know there may be performance problems.

Are there any other "settings" to the alerts that we should be
considering at this point?

Thanks,
Catherine
--