[Hawkular-dev] Alerts - Response Time and Downtime requirements

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 04:22:59 EST 2015

On 02/12/2015 11:25 PM, Catherine Robson wrote:
> Hi -
>
> We see that alerting on response time and downtime are part of what we
> hope to provide in the first iteration of Hawkular.  We'd like to get
> started on the designs related to alert definition/configuration.  I'm
> hoping that you can all share some of the requirements around alert
> definitions that you think we need to have for Hawkular at this
> point.  I don't want to overdo it by looking at JON - I'd like to
> start simple.
+1
> Here's the requirements for the web console as I currently am thinking
> of them, but would like the team to comment on them and add/remove
> requirements as you see necessary.
>
> Overall Alerts
> As an administrator of a website, I would like to have all alerts sent
> to me through e-mail.
> Ad an administrator of a website, I would like to have all alerts sent
> to me via text message.

That may be implicit but:
     - As an administrator of a website, I would like to have all alerts
listed only to the console.

We may not implement SMS right from the beginning but having 2 ways may
be good to initiate the design. (Later we should embed Aerogear UPS and
have a small app for push on phones, note to potential readers, a good
student subject or contribution).

1 important thing:
     - we need some alert "profiles", if I look at my 1000s resources I
may want them all to follow a same profile and when I want to change who
receive an email I should do that in a single place (and not go through
the 1000s resources). There would be several profiles.

3 potential improvements that we may want to think about in the design
right now (or not):
     - Different addressee: Support for sending email/SMS to someone
else but the owner
     - Escalamation: if resource is down for 5 min, send me (or someone
else) an email, if still down after 30min send me a SMS
     - Multiple alerts for 1 particular event: if resource is down for 5
min, send me an email, send my boss an email and send the IT guy a SMS

> Downtime
> As an administrator of a website, I would like to configure Hawkular
> so an alert is sent to me every time the system goes down.
> As an administrator of a website, I would like to configure Hawkular
> so an alert is only sent to me after the system is down for a certain
> length of time, so I'm not alerted if there is a very minor downtime
> event.
+1

> Response time
> As an administrator of a website, I would like to configure Hawkular
> to alert me when my website's response time is slower than a threshold
> I have set so I know there may be performance problems.
It would have to be for some configurable period of time

> Are there any other "settings" to the alerts that we should be
> considering at this point?

At some point in the future we may want to have a warning state, but I
don't want to surcharge this thread :)

Thomas