[Hawkular-dev] Importing JBoss BoMs to Hawkular Parent

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 13:10:59 EST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Almost all the subprojects have some Wildfly dependency. Until those dependencies go away, it is better to have the BOM at the parent level. That way individual sub-projects are forced to be on the same page when it comes to versions.

I would like to not speculate on the future. Right now we depend on Wildfly. When only one project (or none) has Wildfly dependencies, then we clean up the parent pom.

I would focus on the positive of having the BOM in the parent pom, and focus less on the potential ways the Wildfly team would do something to break us. I want to be positive about things ...

Here are just a few pluses for having a BOM in the parent pom:
1) All the subprojects will be on the same version of Wildfly dependencies
2) If we need to change the version, it is done in a single place
3) A single place means special builds (such as productization) are easy to adjust
4) No configuration required at project level, other than inherit the parent pom
5) Dependencies do not get force imported, but if somebody adds a dependency in a sub-project, the version is well known

We need to keep this change in the parent pom until one or none of the projects dependent on Wildfly components. Also, we should expand this to any other commonly used dependencies.

Thank you,
Stefan